Monday, January 25, 2010

Money Talks, People Apparently Don't

I'm pleased to report that, despite the contrary nature of my response to the ISU Daily editorial, I have been published.  Glad to see that this one made it through.

In the face of that infinitesimal victory, other challenges loom over the horizon.  As many of you know, the Supreme Court released an official ruling that allows corporations to spend unlimited amounts of money in political elections, effectively pushing corporate opinion on the largely uneducated masses.

I began reading Al Gore's the Assault on Reason last night and he certainly articulates the state of affairs more eloquently than I can when he says that, quoting a young political consultant in a conversation with a senior senator: "If it's not on television, it doesn't exist."

With these two things in mind, how does Democracy continue?  When Capitalism favors profit before morality, thus permitting haves to grow more have-y and then take their power into the public sector where an uneducated masses consumes media without questioning the source or intent, how do Democracy and the "marketplace of ideas" survive?  Is the system too far gone?  If not, how do we fix it?

I'm deeply troubled my friends.  Deeply troubled.

No comments:

Post a Comment